Can I Modify a Child Support Order in Florida?

Monday, June 26, 2017

Can I Modify a Child Support Order in Florida? 

Child Support Orders in Florida are able to be modified. There is a procedure you must follow, but it is possible to change the amount of child support you are required to pay. Similarly, Time-Sharing Orders and Alimony are also modifiable.

Requirements to Modify a Child Support Order in Florida

To modify a Child Support Order in Florida you must file a petition with the court. To qualify the judge must find that:

  • There has been a substantial change in the circumstances of the parties; and
  • The change is in the child(ren)'s best interests.


After you file the necessary petition, you must serve it on the other parent. Generally, after personal service the other party respondent (the other parent) has 20 days to answer your petition. The case will then proceed by:

  • Default if after 20 days the respondent has not filed an answer. At such point you may file a Motion for Default.
  • Uncontested if the respondent files an answer and agrees with the information provided in your petition.
  • Contested if the respondent files an answer and a counterpetition, which disagrees with or denies information in your petition. If you are unable to settle the disputed issues, you will have to file a Notice for Trial.


Child Support in Florida

Our team at Draper Law Office understands child support and custody cases are critically important - they can shape the lives of families for years to come, and are often incredibly emotional, and personal. We are here to guide you through the process and provide sounds legal advice.

We can help you with all aspects of child support, including:

  • Initial determination of support payments.
  • Modifications to the original order of support payments.
  • Guidance through the process of paying or receiving child support.
  • Representation at Department of Revenue or Child Support Enforcement hearings.


To learn more about your legal rights during the determination of child support, modifications to child support orders, or recovery of back child support payments, contact us on the web, call (866) 767-4711, or email to schedule a consultation.
Draper Law Office


Get Your Case Evaluation Now



I have engaged Draper Law Offices for three (3) different accidents.  My experience with this firm has been excellent each time, with positive results in my favor.  Charles Draper kept me informed throughout the process of each claim.  He was always available when ever I needed him to answer any questions.
The staff could not have been more courteous and helpful to me.  They never made me feel that I was bothering them (and I called quite a lot, believe me).  After a while they seemed like family.
I certainly would engage Draper Law Office (Charles Draper) if another problem would occur.
My recommendation to other people as to Draper Law Office would be “FIRST” on my list.
They are true and loyal to their clients.
I thank them from the bottom of my heart.