What to Do After a Car Accident with an Uninsured Motorist

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Car accident lawyer Kissimmee

If you have an accident and the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, you may soon find the bills rolling in faster than you can raise the money to pay them, especially if your injuries are serious or you have no health insurance.

So if you're in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, or if the accident was a hit and run, what do you do? How it all works out will depend on the circumstances, but there are a few things everyone should do, even if they think it doesn't matter because they don't have uninsured motorist coverage.

See a Doctor

It's always best to see a doctor immediately following an accident if you have symptoms, even if you think you're not seriously injured. Little things can quickly turn into big problems, and seeing a doctor immediately will provide documentation of your symptoms.

Document Everything

Even if they don't believe the at fault driver has insurance, even if it was a hit and run, even if you don't have uninsured motorist protection, it's important to document everything just as though it were an accident with an insured driver. Sometimes you may not think there is insurance, but it turns out coverage does in fact, exist. It’s best to document everything correctly right from the start.

No matter how it plays out, your insurance company will investigate your claim. Take photos of the accident scene if it's safe to do so and document your injuries and medical treatment; keep all your medical records, bills and estimates for future treatment; document your estimated property damage, including what it will cost or did cost to repair it; and collect proof of lost earnings.

The worst that could happen is that you won't need it.

Examine Your Coverage

Different types of coverage are required in different states, but many states also have optional coverage, and how you make claims on it depends on what you purchased and state law. Insurance policies can be confusing and it’s often difficult for many people to understand exactly what coverage they have, or don’t have. If you have any questions or would like a review of your policy to explain your coverage, call us and we would be happy to assist you.

Notify Your Insurance Company

You have an obligation to notify your insurance company following an accident. You must do so, even if you do not think there will be a claim.

Consult an Attorney

When it comes to run-ins with uninsured drivers, consulting a Kissimmee personal injury attorney can make all the difference. If you've been injured in a car accident with an uninsured driver and you have any questions, call the Kissimmee, Florida, personal injury attorneys at Draper Law Offices at 866.767.4711 for a free, no-obligation consultation.

Draper Law Offices


Get Your Case Evaluation Now



I wanted to thank the Draper Law firm for representing me in my recent personal injury case. It was truly a pleasure and honor to work with the firm, and I had a wonderful experience working with the staff, who was very friendly and courteous throughout the entire process.
The quality of legal service more than exceeded my expectations. The attorney answered all my questions, treated me with respect, and explained every detail - every step of the way. This was important to help me understand the process. In fact, I was made to feel like "part of the family" from the very first appointment.
I would definitely recommend the staff of attorneys at Draper Law Office to anyone who is seeking legal services, as I believe they, too, will have a great experience. In addition, should I ever need services again, Draper Law Office will be my first call.
Once again, I thank you and your staff for a wonderful and seamless experience; I would like others to also learn about it so they too can benefit from such great service.