What to Do If You Are Waiting to Receive Divorce Papers

Listen as Linda Gruszynski discusses how to get the divorce process moving in Florida.

If you're filing for divorce in Florida and you and your spouse agree on everything, you may want to know what's involved in completing the divorce. If you and your spouse have reached an agreement but your spouse hasn't given you papers yet, you should take initiative and get them yourself. You will first have to file a petition for divorce to begin the process.

After the petition is filed, you can have your spouse served with papers. You can let your spouse know ahead of time that they are going to be served, and maybe avoid hurt feelings. Once they have been served, they have 20 days to file an answer.

You can always reach a settlement at any time during the divorce process. The key is to get the process started. Watch the video to learn more.



If you have additional questions about how to start a divorce case, call the experienced Kissimmee family law attorneys of Draper Law Offices at (407) 846-0075.  I welcome your call.  Visit our educational website, where you can view more videos and media content from our law firm. 

Click for a Consultation

Draper Law Office

Offices in Kissimmee, Orlando and St. Cloud


(407) 846-0075


In This Section


I wanted to thank the Draper Law firm for representing me in my recent personal injury case. It was truly a pleasure and honor to work with the firm, and I had a wonderful experience working with the staff, who was very friendly and courteous throughout the entire process.
The quality of legal service more than exceeded my expectations. The attorney answered all my questions, treated me with respect, and explained every detail - every step of the way. This was important to help me understand the process. In fact, I was made to feel like "part of the family" from the very first appointment.
I would definitely recommend the staff of attorneys at Draper Law Office to anyone who is seeking legal services, as I believe they, too, will have a great experience. In addition, should I ever need services again, Draper Law Office will be my first call.
Once again, I thank you and your staff for a wonderful and seamless experience; I would like others to also learn about it so they too can benefit from such great service.