Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Draper Law Office Since 1984
  • Free Personal Injury Consultations
  • ~
  • Hablamos Español

What to Do if you’re Injured in an Accident but Don’t Have Automobile Insurance

What to Do if you're Injured in an Accident but Don't Have Automobile InsuranceIn most cases, when an individual is injured in a Florida car accident, he or she can file a PIP claim with his or her own insurance provider to utilize the medical benefits he or she purchased.

In Florida, drivers are required to carry at least $10,000 worth of personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. This coverage compensates them for the damages they suffer in car accidents regardless of the accidents’ fault. It is illegal to drive without valid automobile insurance. If you cannot produce proof of your insurance at a traffic stop or car accident investigation, you can be fined.

It can be difficult to have your medical bills paid for if you do not have car insurance, but it is not impossible. After you have received medical care for your injury, discuss your situation with a lawyer to determine the best way to proceed.

Seek Medical Attention for your Injury

Regardless of who caused the accident or your insurance situation, it is important to your health and physical recovery that you receive appropriate medical care for your injury in a timely manner following the accident. Worry about paying the bill later – your health and safety should always come first.

Car insurance benefits are not the only way you can pay your medical bills. If you have healthcare insurance, it may cover your medical expenses. This is also true if you have Medicaid or Medicare. Other options for covering your medical bills include working with your healthcare provider to pay them out of pocket or, depending on the circumstances of your case, filing a personal injury claim to seek compensation for your medical damages from the other driver’s automobile insurance.

Under Certain Circumstances, you Can File a Personal Injury Claim

In Florida, you can file a personal injury claim against an at-fault driver to seek compensation for your medical damages if you suffered a severe injury in the accident. Qualifying injuries include:

  • Permanent disability;
  • Physical disfigurement; and
  • Permanent scarring on large areas of the body.

With this type of claim, you can seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering damages like your reduced quality of life because of the injury. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you prepare and pursue your claim. In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is four years from the date of the accident.

Work with Draper Law Office to Pursue Compensation for your Damages

Contact our team at Draper Law Office today by visiting us online or calling our office at 866-767-4711 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation in one of our two convenient office locations: Kissimmee, and Orlando.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Skip footer and go back to main navigation