Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Kissimmee Injury Lawyer
Free Personal Injury Consultations
Hablamos Español
Kissimmee Injury Lawyer > Blog > Family Law > Can I Modify a Child Support Order in Florida?

Can I Modify a Child Support Order in Florida?

Can I Modify a Child Support Order in Florida?Child Support Orders in Florida are able to be modified. There is a procedure you must follow, but it is possible to change the amount of child support you are required to pay. Similarly, Time-Sharing Orders and Alimony are also modifiable.

Requirements to Modify a Child Support Order in Florida

To modify a Child Support Order in Florida you must file a petition with the court. To qualify the judge must find that:

  • There has been a substantial change in the circumstances of the parties; and
  • The change is in the child(ren)’s best interests.

After you file the necessary petition, you must serve it on the other parent. Generally, after personal service the other party respondent (the other parent) has 20 days to answer your petition. The case will then proceed by:

  • Default if after 20 days the respondent has not filed an answer. At such point you may file a Motion for Default.
  • Uncontested if the respondent files an answer and agrees with the information provided in your petition.
  • Contested if the respondent files an answer and a counterpetition, which disagrees with or denies information in your petition. If you are unable to settle the disputed issues, you will have to file a Notice for Trial.

Child Support in Florida

Our team at Draper Law Office understands child support and custody cases are critically important – they can shape the lives of families for years to come, and are often incredibly emotional, and personal. We are here to guide you through the process and provide sounds legal advice.

We can help you with all aspects of child support, including:

  • Initial determination of support payments.
  • Modifications to the original order of support payments.
  • Guidance through the process of paying or receiving child support.
  • Representation at Department of Revenue or Child Support Enforcement hearings.

To learn more about your legal rights during the determination of child support, modifications to child support orders, or recovery of back child support payments, contact us on the web, call 866-767-4711, or email info@DraperLawOffice.com to schedule a consultation.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Draper Law Office. All rights reserved. This law firm. website
and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.